Multi-patch digital delay pedal

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 pm

I’m a pedal guy, never got into rack systems. Most of my pedals are relatively vintage workhorses, no boutique or high end pieces. I did however go modern with my delay pedal. I’ve been using a Line 6 DL-4 digital delay the past two years solely because I can program in 3 presets which is cool because I use a different delay patch when I go clean than I do for soloing and it left one other for some an inverse patch I needed in the middle of a particular tune. Problem is the delays always sounded processed and more like an overlay with hard gates than a true early delay pedal. Long story short I just sold it but I’m not sure what to replace it with.

I’m limited in choices as I still want something I can write patches in and retrieve live without bending over and turning knobs. I was looking at the Boss DD-20 but I’m not blown away by it and not into Taiwanese component/assembly quality. At the moment the only thing I’ve been able to find in the $250.00 price range is the TC Electronic Nova Delay. Has anyone had any experience with that pedal or have any suggestions?

I have also considered the possibility of just buying two decent single delays and setting one for my clean tone and one for soloing – is that weird? Wouldn't want anyone thinking I'm weird.....

Re: Multi-patch digital delay pedal

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:44 pm

I use a DD-20 and love it but I know there is better stuff out there. Works great for me. Previously I used two DD-3's side by side. One set at my default delay and the other more of
a dotted 1/8th setting for U-2'ish stuff. I also have a separate tap tempo switch for the DD-20 though I have not used it much yet.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Normally I would suggest the DD-20 myself but, sadly, mine just died after about 6 years of use. I replaced it with another pedal but it would not fit what you're looking for.

If you can expand your budget there's some truly amazing stuff on the market these days

http://proguitarshop.com/store/delay-pedals-c-9

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 pm

I know a LOT of players that use multiple delays.....and I'm one of them. I have a Line 6 Echo Park that I use for effects and longer delays, and a Rocktron Short-Timer for slapback and shorter delays. I have several delays around here, including a couple of Boss DD-3s and a DD-20 that I haven't even plugged in yet. I have them on my pedal board, but run them separately from my guitar caqhin, using them in my amps' EFX loops.

I know Satch and Andy Timmons use multi delays. AT uses two original EH Memory Man units. One friend of mine uses a DD-3 and a DD-6; another uses a DanElectro DanEcho and a second delay (that for the life of me I can't remember at the moment.)

Multiple distortions, and multiple delays--you betcha!

(Of course my current pedalboard is 2.3 acres!)

Bill

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 am

Boogie Bill wrote:
Multiple distortions, and multiple delays--you betcha!

(Of course my current pedalboard is 2.3 acres!)

Bill

Preach on brutha!

I went the multiple delay route. Got the Echoluxe (all analog, 2 "channels", 300ms max) and the Carbon Copy (analog, 600ms max) That pretty much handles all of my needs nicely. :thumbup:

That Nova Delay is really nice, some other suggestions for you are the Diamond
Memory Lane, and the Empress Super Delay. I've played the Diamond and it's super sweet, and from what I understand the Empress is excellent as well.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Hey Spot,

I'm on the fence with the Nova Delay as well. Picked up a MXR Carbon Copy last month for a quality dealy pedal but we all want more, don't we? I have spent a tremendous amount of time on youtube, harmony central and other searches and the Nova Delay keeps sounding the best and gives more options. Missed a deal two months ago but will get one based on web evidence and re-sale appears to be VERY good. If you get one first post reviews fast!!

Mon May 17, 2010 7:14 am

One of the best ways to get "the" delay sound - more like if you added delay in a recording session, via a mixer buss - is to use delays in your amp's effects loop (if you happen to have an effects loop that is). It can really be a night & day eye-opener improvement. I've always been disappointed with the delay before the amp.

I own two of the old Roland SDE-1000 rack delays, but I use one for really heavy delay and one for quieter stuff. They store four time presets, but not mix/feedback levels. An SDE 3000 stores it all, but man, those things fetch some $$ now.

They do have the tap-tempo switch which is beyond awesome. On the down side, they're DEEP - like 11" front to back, and heavy for a one-space unit. They do have internal power though. And the sound - man, it's "just right", through a loop or used as a studio delay on a mixer's effect bus.

One of these days I'll hunt down an old ART DXR unit - much smaller, and I believe those have tone controls for the delayed signal. Sometimes I really don't want the repeats as bright as the main signal.

Mon May 17, 2010 9:39 am

OK, I did get the TC Nova Delay. And as expected it sounds really good. You can program up to 16 (I think) delays though I only use 3 live and can tap through them pretty easily with one of the foot switches. The only bitches I have are if you’re in the Preset mode and have that particular delay engaged if you accidently move the Delay knob it will override the delay and you have to go back and readjust it and re-store it. Second complaint is a couple times I’ve powered up my board the presets were gone. More than likely I’m doing something wrong so I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt until I have more time to mess with it but as for the versatility and overall quality of the delays it’s pretty cool.